Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Gramp's waffles


This waffle recipe came from my great Grampa Taylor, and has been handed down from generation to generation. I've made a few addtions: I add flax and I also like to soak the grains and seeds over night in kefir instead of milk, then I add a little more milk in the morning as the grains soak up all the liquid, (the batter should be thin)and then add the rest of the ingredients. The oats can be added whole or blended into oat flour.

1 C Kefir (recipe calls for milk)
2 T oil
3 eggs (recipes calls for 2 eggs, I add an extra)
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 t. rumford baking powder
1 1/2 C rolled oats
1/2 ground flax seed
3 T whole wheat flour
1/2 sunflower seeds

Beat egg whites to form stiff peaks and set aside. Combine milk, oil, egg yolks and salt, add flour, mix well- stir in baking powder and sunflower seeds. Fold in egg whites, bake till crisp and browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment